Hilfe (Accesskey 1) Newsletter (Accesskey 2) Nutzungsbedingungen (Accesskey 3) Impressum (Accesskey 5) Datenschutz (Accesskey 8) Sitemap (Accesskey 6) Kontakt (Accesskey 9) Kontakt (Accesskey 7) familien
Website-Logo
d-pfeil2
Marktgemeinde Perchtoldsdorf
tourismus

timeline

Ca. 1140 The name "Perchtoldsdorf" is first mentioned in records; the fortress houses vassals of the Babenbergs ("Herren von Perchtoldsdorf").


1217
Parish established by Bishop Ulrich II of Passau and the local lord Otto von Perchtoldsdorf.


Ca. 1236
Destruction of the parish church during a feud between Duke Friedrich II of Austria and Otto von Perchtoldsdorf.


1267
Certificate of indulgence. Probably connected to the reconstruction of the parish church.


1270
Bishop Petrus of Passau consecrates the rebuilt parish church.


Um 1284
Otto von Perchtoldsdorf, presumably a son of the parish founder, “voluntarily” renounces feudal rights that go the Habsburg Duke Albrecht I of Austria. Destruction of Kammerstein Castle near Perchtoldsdorf.


1286
Death of Otto von Perchtoldsdorf, "Chamberlain" of Austria. Since he dies without male issue, the Habsburgs inherit the right of dominion.


1308
Perchtoldsdorf is first mentioned as a “market town” on the occasion of a forfeiting of feudal land.


1332
Duchess Johanna von Pfirt takes residence in Perchtoldsdorf.


1386
Duchess Beatrix von Zollern takes residence in Perchtoldsdorf.


1400
Granting of first town fair-holding privilege.


1404
Granting of second town fair-holding privilege.


1406
Duke Wilhelm grants a coat of arms and seal to the people of Perchtoldsdorf.


Ca. 1407
Duchess Beatrix establishes the hospital.


1414
First certificate of donation (Stiftbrief) for the hospital; death of Duchess Beatrix.


1415
Duke Albrecht V of Austria grants Perchtoldsdorf Blutgerichtsbarkeit (right to convene criminal court capable of inflicting corporal punishment including the death penalty).


1420-1421
Persecution of Jews in Vienna and Lower Austria, decline of the medieval Jewish community of Perchtoldsdorf.


1435
Thomas Ebendorfer is made parish priest of Perchtoldsdorf.

Ca. 1440 Representatives of Perchtoldsdorf attend the Lower Austrian Diet (Assembly) for the first time.


1446
Johann Hunyadi, regent of Hungary, invades Lower Austria with his troops. Numerous homes in Perchtoldsdorf are destroyed by fire.


1449
Consecration of the parish church whose western nave was then completed.


Ca. 1450
Construction of Peel tower started.


1452
Pope Nicolas V grants indulgence to the participants of the Corpus Christi procession in Perchtoldsdorf.


1464
Death of parish priest Thomas Ebendorfer.


1465
Mercenaries in the service of the emperor and the city of Vienna lay siege to and finally conquer the castle of Perchtoldsdorf that had been occupied by the earls of St. Georgen and Pösing.


1475
The parish is joined to the Cathedral Chapter (Dompropstei) of Vienna.


1476
The Turkish nobleman Bajezid Otman takes over the right of dominion of the castle from Emperor Friedrich II.


1477-1490
Perchtoldsdorf is occupied by mercenaries of the Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus.


1490
Death of Matthias Corvinus. Maximilian I wins Vienna and Lower Austria back for the Habsburgs.


1493
Maximilian I founds the Lower Austrian Vizedomamt, which is in charge of the crown estate and thus also of Perchtoldsdorf.


1512-1520
Construction of Martinikapelle (Chapel of St Martin).


Ca. 1521
Completion of the Peel tower. Outbreak of the plague; conflict between the parish priest of Perchtoldsdorf and the municipal council; first complaint about “Luther’s erroneous teachings” having contaminated Perchtoldsdorf.


1528
Climax of the ecclesiastic dispute of Perchtoldsdorf; claims arise to have “German sermons at the hospital” and to give citizens a say in the administration of the parish finances.

1529 Turkish troops reach Perchtoldsdorf and wreak heavy damage. The fortifications around the castle, church and Peel tower are successfully defended.


1537
A well is dug in the Peel tower.


1554
The building on Marktplatz No. 10 is used as the town hall.


1556
The attachment of the parish to the Vienna Cathedral Chapter of 1475 is rescinded. The town is granted the right to propose a Catholic priest for the office of parish priest and to appoint the schoolmaster.


Ca. 1580
First repression of protestants.


1588
A “Reformation Commission" demands that citizens return to Catholicism. Official residence is granted only to Catholics.


1597
Some vintners from Perchtoldsdorf take part in a vineyard workers’ rebellion which is violently suppressed.


1605
Rebellion of the Hungarian magnate Stefan Bocskay. Troops are stationed in Perchtoldsdorf.


1619
During a blockade of Vienna by troops of the Bohemian Protestant General Heinrich Matthias Gf. v. Thurn, contacts develop between Thurn’s soldiers and inhabitants of Perchtoldsdorf.


1623-1624
Expulsion of Protestant citizens reproached for having collaborated with Thurn’s troops.


1630
A devastating fire rages in Perchtoldsdorf.


1639
Another fire disaster in Perchtoldsdorf.


Ca. 1650
The town, having suffered greatly from billeting of troops, cannot pay its dues. Forced sales of municipal property.


1679
Severe plague outbreak in Vienna and Lower Austria, claiming many victims in the area surrounding Perchtoldsdorf and presumably in the town as well.


1682
In the course of an inspection of “places of refuge”, the church fortifications of Perchtoldsdorf are found to be in good condition.


Ca. 1683
On 16 July, “Turks and Tatars” who have invaded Lower Austria wreak carnage among the inhabitants who had believed they were able to defend themselves. The town is completely plundered, numerous inhabitants are dragged off into Turkish captivity, and many die during attempts to escape. Most of the town’s 260 buildings burn down in fires set by the enemy and looters.


November 1683
Balthasar Kleinschroth, prefect of the boys’ choir of Stift Heiligenkreuz, visits Perchtoldsdorf and witnesses the unburied victims of the Turkish attack on the market square. Return to town of inhabitants who had fled.


1684
Reconstruction starts.


1686
The Türkenglocke (Turks’ Bell) is cast.


1691
The town council asks the ruler for a 20-year moratorium to be able to pay off the municipal debts.


1701
The roof of the Peel tower is rebuilt; the oriels are crowned with Baroque-style onion-shaped roofs.


1713
Plague outbreak in Austria. Perchtoldsdorf is largely spared; plague memorial column erected on market square.


1718
More and more pilgrims find their way to Leonhardikapelle. The chapel is enlarged.


1719
Start of Baroque popular drama performances in Perchtoldsdorf.


1744
Maria Theresia and Franz Stephan v. Lothringen attend a passion play performance in Perchtoldsdorf.


1745
The Vizedomamt is dissolved; in 1762 the estate falls to the Abbey of Montserrat.


1771
The passion plays are banned.
The parish is taken over by the Vienna archdiocese.


1783
Restrictions applied to processions and pilgrimages. Josephinian parish restructuring: Rodaun and Kaltenleutgeben are taken out of the Perchtoldsdorf parish.


1777
Establishment of manufacturing at Eisenböckhof: Lafontaine wax-cloth factory; Sire corduroy factory.


1784
Dissolution of fraternities; their assets are seized by the religious fund and the parish institution for the poor. The infirmary church is closed, the inventory sold, demolition started.


1785
The town council constitution is abolished; the judge and council are replaced by the "regulated municipal council".

 


1786
Market gates razed, with the exception of the Wiener Tor.


1787
A flax mill is established at Knappenhof.


1788
Construction of the school at Marktplatz 2 starts (completed in 1797).


1791
Demolition of the fortification walls around the church.


1793
Establishment of the Chazel cotton printing mill at Knappenhof.


1799
Ambros Rieder is appointed schoolmaster.


1800
Municipality purchases patrician houses and converts them into army barracks.


1809
Billeting of French troops.


1818
Razing of Wiener Tor.


1820
Establishment of a spa.


1826
Re-consecration of the Infirmary Church.


1832
Cholera epidemic.


1833
Restoration of parish church crypt.


1841
Emperor Ferdinand I visits Perchtoldsdorf.
Establishment of a station on the southern railway line.


1842
Establishment of a factory school at Knappenhof.
Formation of a national guard.
Banus Jellacic and his Croat troops are stationed at Perchtoldsdorf.
Lifting of the state of subjugation. Separation of justice and administration, Perchtoldsdorf loses the right to convene court.


1852
Establishment of a postal service.


1854
Jesuit mission.


1861
Parish church is re-gothicised.


1869
Gendarmerie service established.


1870
Volunteer fire fighting service founded.


1876/77
Cemetery is relocated.


1883
Establishment of a steam tramway line Vienna - Perchtoldsdorf.
Introduction of a branch-line Liesing - Kaltenleutgeben.


1886
Dr. Josef Hyrtl founds the children’s home.


1887
Vine fretter blight. As a consequence, many vineyards are abandoned and sold as building land. Exclusive residential neighbourhoods develop.


1896
Introduction of gas-lights.


1902
Establishment of a school for girls.


1914-1918
First World War. Perchtoldsdorf mourns 178 of its men killed in action.


1914
Opening of the new school building on Leonhardiberg (Roseggergasse).


1920-1930
Severe shortage of housing.


1921
Street lighting is electrified.
Start of an independent community life of adherents to the Protestant faith.


1928
Extensive construction and settlement activities in the east of the municipality.


1931
800 unemployed people in Perchtoldsdorf.


1932
The local NSDAP group of Perchtoldsdorf demands the dissolution of the municipal council.


1933
Celebration at memorial of the liberation from the Turks.


1936
Consecration of the new church bells acquired after WWI.


1938
Austria’s annexation (Anschluss) to the Third Reich. Perchtoldsdorf is incorporated into the 25th District of Vienna.


1938-1945
Second World War. The town mourns 258 deaths and 60 missing persons. Withdrawal of SS battle units, advance of the Red Army reaches Perchtoldsdorf. Establishment of a provisional town administration.


1945
Classes open again at the school which had served as a military hospital.


1948
Typhoid epidemic.
The lending library is opened.


1954
Perchtoldsdorf is reintegrated into the Land of Lower Austria.
Perchtoldsdorf regains the status of a local authority.


1955
Municipal elections. Resulting distribution of seats: ÖVP (Cons.) 17, SPÖ (Soc.) 16, WDU 1, KLS 1. Franz Kamtner (ÖVP) is elected mayor.

1976
Inauguration of the culture and education centre in Beatrixgasse. The re-design of the town-hall function rooms by architect Hans Hollein is awarded a prize by the Austrian association of architects.


After 1955
Surge in ooperative, municipal and private construction activities.


1957
Part of the area of the local authorities of Gießhübl and Kaltenleutgeben is assigned to Perchtoldsdorf. Settlement of the newly emerging "Tirolerhof" neighbourhood as of 1960.


1960
Municipal elections: ÖVP 16, SPÖ 14, FPÖ 3, KLS 1, Liste Braun 1; Franz Kamtner is re-elected mayor.


1961
Adoption of the zoning plan (central vision: "Perchtoldsdorf – a wellspring of recreation ") and simultaneously establishment of an industrial zone east of the southbound railway line.


1962
Consecration of the Protestant Christkönigs-Kirche.


1964
Purchase of the former community hospital incl. the church (Spitalskirche).


1964-1966
Restoration of the former castle, conversion into impressive premises for functions.


1965
Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 20, SPÖ 14, FPÖ 1. Franz Kamtner is re-elected mayor again.


After 1966
Restoration of the historical buildings in the town centre (incl. town hall, Peel tower, parish church)


1967
750th anniversary celebrations of the parish of Perchtoldsdorf. Consecration of the Maria Königin church.


1968
Opening of the newly built primary school at Sebastian Kneipp-Gasse.


1969
Publication of Perchtoldsdorf im Mittelalter by Silvia Petrin.


1970
Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 21, SPÖ 13, FPÖ 1. Franz Kamtner stays mayor until 1975.


1970
Introduction of Kulturtage (“Culture Days”, now Kulturherbst) in Perchtoldsdorf.


1973
Twinning with Donauwörth.


1974
Establishment of the sports facilities on Höhenstraße.


1975
Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 23, SPÖ 12, FPÖ 2. Siegfried Ludwig elected mayor of Perchtoldsdorf.


1975
Introduction of the annual Sommerspiele (summer theatre).
 

1978 Inauguration of the secondary school.


1979
Construction of the Freizeitzentrum (leisure-time centre).


1980
Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 24, SPÖ 11 and FPÖ 2. On 13 April, Siegfried Ludwig is re-elected mayor.


1980
Opening of the senior citizen’s home in Elisabethstraße. Two new nursery schools are established at Sebastian Kneippgasse.


1981
9 February: after being elected Governor of Lower Austria, Siegfried Ludwig steps down from office as mayor of Perchtoldsdorf. On 19 February, the deputy mayor Paul Katzberger is unanimously elected mayor of Perchtoldsdorf.


After 1981
Focus on cultural activities, enhanced protection of ensembles of historical buildings.


1982
The local authority founds the "Franz Schmidt-Musikschule".


1983
Commemorative celebrations on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the Turkish invasion. Historical pageant. Publication of the two-volume history of Perchtoldsdorf, "Geschichte des Marktes Perchtoldsdorf", by Silvia Petrin and Gertrude Ostrawsky to conclude the anniversary year.


1985
Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 25, SPÖ 9, FPÖ 1, VGÖ 2. Paul Katzberger is re-elected mayor.


After 1985
Town planning and improving the appearance of the town are given top priority; a new spatial planning concept is developed; environmental concerns are put on the municipal agenda; numerous publications are produced.


1990
Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 20, SPÖ 8, FPÖ 5,
PBLVGÖ 4. Paul Katzberger is re-elected mayor.
He resigns from office on 29 Feb. 1992.

1992 The municipal council elects Jürgen Heiduschka mayor of Perchtoldsdorf.

1995 Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 18, SPÖ 6, FPÖ 6, PBL 4, LIF 3.
Jürgen Heiduschka re-elected as mayor.

After 1990 Establishment of a new (fourth) nursery school in the Aspetten neighbourhood.
Introduction of a local taxi service (P’Taxi)
Issue of a multifunctional citizen’s card (P’Card)
Rehabilitation and adaptation of the cultural centre and the recreation centre
Establishment of the autonomously managed youth culture centre H.H.-Hyrtl.Haus
Pioneering achievements in the area of CO2 reductions (communal solar energy facility)
Perchtoldsfdorf joins the “climate alliance” and establishes biomass co-generation plants
Enlargement of bicycle track network
First electricity powered municipal vehicle in operation (e-car)

2000 Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 16, SPÖ 9, FPÖ 6, PBL 3, LIF 2.
Jürgen Heiduschka re-elected as mayor.

2002 20 September: Jürgen Heiduschka steps down from office of mayor.
27 September: Martin Schuster unanimously elected as mayor of Perchtoldsdorf.

2005 6 March: Municipal elections. Distribution of seats: ÖVP 23, SPÖ 7, FPÖ 2, PBL 2, GRÜNE 3.
5 April: Martin Schuster re-elected as mayor. Franz Kamtner assumes office as deputy mayor.

After 2000 Participation of citizens enhanced, following the principles of „perchtoldsdorfDIALOG“
“Agenda perchtoldsdorf 2020”
Inauguration of the redesigned Hugo Wolf-Museum
Re-design of local planning and zoning plan
Façade of 15th century town-hall building renovated
Total restoration of gothic Infirmary Church (Spitalskirche) completed
Perchtoldsdorfer Heide (heath) joins the EU programme Natura 2000 and becomes part of the Wienerwald Biosphere Reserve
Partial privatisation of municipal service units

Also see:
50 Jahre wiedererrichtete Marktgemeinde (German only)

nach oben

20 / 238   0;